On My Home Planet

I have an opinion about everything, and here it is for the world to see.

Hating on: morons, self-righteous political extremists, the man-and-baby-hating strain of feminism, CraigsList, yuppies, careerists, white liberal guilt, people devoid of any sense of morals or personal responsbility, and other generally clueless and misguided types who continually piss me off.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Trustafarians and sanctimonious whining...

I ran into a friend from college I've lost touch with, who tells me her ambition is "not to become a corporate whore". That's a noble enough ambition, but... you have to be aware of the implications of that choice, and how the decreased bankroll will affect your lifestyle. She doesn't have that awareness; to her, shopping at OldNavy is slumming. Yet, she's anathema to actually getting a job.

I am so tired of people who feel entitled to, and go in debt up to their eyeballs to have, the lifestyle that can only be supported by having a sizeable bankroll - organic foods, designer clothes, nice house, lots of international vacations - yet are the first to scream "sellout" the minute someone takes a white-collar desk job. These people don't realize that for those of us not born with a silver spoon in our mouths and fat trust funds in our names (or without supermodel looks or superstar singing and/or athletic abilities), that we HAVE to become "corporate whores" to acheive that lifestyle. And by "that lifestyle" I mean "anything above and beyond living on the street", which is exactly where I'd be if I didn't have a job. Yes, I had to start working at the lower levels of my "Maslo's hierarchy of needs" pyramid. I can't spend 100% of my time on spiritual enlightment when I need to put a roof over my head and food in my mouth. Of course I'm not emotionally fulfilled by mortgages, but I deal. It just doesn't work any other way. Don't get me wrong, if you have that kind of money, more power to you, but at least realize that your situation is not that of the other 6 billion people on this planet.

And even if your family does have enough money so that nobody for the next umpteen million generations ever has to take a job... how do you think you got so rich in the first place? You guessed it, your great-grandpa was a corporate whore himself. And very good at it. So why are you living off his money and turning up your nose at the rest of us who want something similar for ourselves and our families?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Chopin Girl thinks I'm the coolest...

You must have been reading my mind. I'm sorry, but don't come crying just b/c you maxed out your card at Whole Foods. Please respect people's choices to get the jobs they need for their means. Coming from a not-so-wealthy background, I couldn't stand kids at college (and after!) telling me that I shouldn't sell out and I should "go back to the community" and "teach." That's admirable, but it's not for me. So don't judge!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger TooMuchCoffeeLady thinks I'm the coolest...

Preach it, Stanli! That's the exact shit I'm talking about. Smart people make crappy teachers anyway. I love how nobody recognizes that the little things, the way we treat people, etc make as much a difference as the big grandiose gestures.
I have bills and I want to enjoy the ROI from my hard work as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home