On My Home Planet

I have an opinion about everything, and here it is for the world to see.

Hating on: morons, self-righteous political extremists, the man-and-baby-hating strain of feminism, CraigsList, yuppies, careerists, white liberal guilt, people devoid of any sense of morals or personal responsbility, and other generally clueless and misguided types who continually piss me off.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Need *YOUR* Book Reviews

Proof I am not ill-read, uneducated, or a dumb blonde perhaps?

I am receiveing feedback from friends and family (loyal On My Home Planet readers) that I would be less po'd and wound tight if I stopped reading so many nonfiction books about how evil this world is for awhile, and subsitituted them with fluffy Chick Lit "crap".*

So I need reccommendations. I usually wait till it's available not only in paperback, but also on half.com and its peers. I am more Red Dress Ink than Harlequin (although in the 90's, they served their purpose, namely, irritating my mom. But back then, a perm served me well too...) I like Valerie Frankel, VC Andrews (the real one, not her ghostwriter), Sarah Mlynowski, Rebecca Agiewich, Claire Zulkey type stuff.

*Except for Dr. Brainiac, who has made me promise to give Slander a chance. It's a pity Ann Coulter offended me so much with her cruel comments about 9/11 widows (my first time reading her stuff); and noticeably absent from her list of "liberal rag" papers is The Boston Globe; otherwise, I might have grown to be a fan otherwise.

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Ibid thinks I'm the coolest...

Go to the library and pick up any of the Diskworld books by Terry Pratchett. "Mort" got me hooked, but my favorite is "Eric". It's a large series, but they can be read out of order with no problem. They're comedies. Reading them helps alter my thinking enough to do my better writing.
Not really "chick" reading, but I know a lot of women who have enjoyed them.

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Brilliant apocalyptic comedy.

"Foundation" by Isaac Asimov is a good story. You don't have to be a sci-fi fan to appreciate the first book in the series. It is all "galactic empire" and "distant colonies", but I don't remember there being much that can't be fixed by thinking of nations and armies instead of planets and space fleets. It's about how a small planet with a few great minds is able to fend off and conquer neighboring hostile empires.

"Wicked" you've probably heard of. It's the story of the Wicked Witch of the West. I liked it much better than his next book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister".

"Calculating God" by Robert J Sawyer is a combination of sci-fi and theological debate. An athiest archaeologist is facing his own mortality as well dealing with aliens who come to Earth looking for more evidence of God.

On Sept. 30 the Library of Congress is having their annual book fair on the mall. You can go listen to some authors talk and see if you hear about anything you might like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home