On My Home Planet

I have an opinion about everything, and here it is for the world to see.

Hating on: morons, self-righteous political extremists, the man-and-baby-hating strain of feminism, CraigsList, yuppies, careerists, white liberal guilt, people devoid of any sense of morals or personal responsbility, and other generally clueless and misguided types who continually piss me off.

Monday, August 07, 2006

File Under: Movies I Will Not Be Seeing


Specifically, World Trade Center.

It's a few weeks shy of 5 years since

- our country was hit by terrorists, shattering the sense of security and way of life many of us had cherished our entire lives;

- many families were brutally deprived of their children, parents, siblings, cousins, etc, knowing that they likely died a nasty, painful death;

and I for one am not psyched to see this movie. And I didn't even lose anyone I loved that day.

Have the wounds of the affected really healed that much that it isn't in horrendous taste to start profiteering? I think not. Seriously, Hollywood, have a little bit of class for once in your miserable, unoriginal existence and let people greive awhile longer before you go capitalizing on their misfortunes. Maybe I just had my head up my collegiate ass, but I sort of don't remember my grandparents and other surviving members of the Greatest Generation lining up to see Pearl Harbor (detailing the last brutal attack on this country), when it was released roughly 60 years after that tragedy. Just can't get psyched to pay $10 to have one of my nastier memories relived in gorier detail than I already remember it.

I mean, sure, preserve our history, this is a definite part of it. Just wait awhile to do so, say, until after our country stops doing such a piss poor job of maintaining national security and has defeats Al-Quaeda, and the would is better healed. (Hint to the Feds: try closing the borders, keeping better tabs on people's visas, and worrying less about political correctness and more about reality). God knows how many bereaved people have probably had to go back into therapy because of those previews being all over the TV this summer. I seriously can't imagine how it would make me feel to see a reenactment of a loved one's death on television or the big screen.

I suppose it would be too much to ask if a portion of the profits of this movie were going to help the families of those lost that day? Yeah, I forgot, it probably would be. The timing of the movie is still in piss-poor taste regardless though, so it's sort of a moot point anyway.

4 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger ♥ E.T. Suzy ♥ thinks I'm the coolest...

I totally agree. This is a movie for another generation to watch, maybe 40 years from now.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger angst on the outskirts thinks I'm the coolest...

It shouldn't be a "portion of the profits"... it should be all the profits.

Otherwise, screw this movie.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Chopin Girl thinks I'm the coolest...

I completely agree... I don't understand why I need to watch this right now as we're fighting the war on terror. Enough, already. The CNN and FOX News specials on the day are enough.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger the Yearning Heart thinks I'm the coolest...

I totally agree, I think people who make movies during wartime are just in it for the money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home